Root Canal Therapy Near Langford
Don’t fret if you’re told by your dentist in Victoria that you need to have a root canal; for one, it’s a very common process; two, every dentist is capable of performing this treatment; and three, it can significantly restore and improve your oral health in multiple ways.
At Urban Smiles Colwood, we offer our patients this service and look forward to helping you get your smile back to where it needs to be aesthetically and health-wise. For more information, give us a call.
Why You May Need a Root Canal
This procedure is necessary when a tooth – or, more specifically, the tooth’s pulp – is severely damaged or infected. Nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissues all meet in the pulp, and when it is injured, it causes patients to experience an immense amount of sensitivity and pain. Without a root canal, the problem can grow worse, leading to widespread infection and even potential loss of the tooth.
Some reasons why your dentist may recommend receiving a root canal include:
- Severe decay
- A cracked or chipped tooth
- Oral trauma
- Repeated and unsuccessful dental treatments on the tooth
- Abscesses or cysts.
If you’ve got questions or you’re worried about any part of the procedure, please tell your dentist; you deserve to understand what’s happening and feel comfortable throughout your treatment journey.
What the Procedure Entails
The steps of a root canal in Victoria are:
- A physical examination and x-rays to assess the damage to your tooth.
- The application of local anesthesia. This numbs the target area and stops you from feeling any pain.
- Creating a small hole in the tooth, allowing your dentist to extract the unhealthy mass inside.
- The pulp chamber is thoroughly cleaned to get rid of any lingering bacteria.
- Filing the space with a substance known as gutta-percha.
- A custom-made prosthetic is placed over top of the tooth to reinforce its structure and protect it from future harm.
Depending on your case, you may be asked to come in for a follow-up appointment, so your dentist can see how well your smile is healing.
Are you ready to take that first step on your oral health journey? It may seem scary, but our dentist near you is here to walk alongside you the entire time. Once your treatment is finished, you’ll be left with a smile that’s as beautiful as it is functional and pain-free. Send us an email or drop by our dental clinic to set up a consultation today!